If you intend to stay in Austria for more than six months and are not an EEA citizen or a Swiss national, then you will need to get a residence permit. Austria offers different types of resident permits. However, if your period of stay is less than six months, you do not require a residence permit, but you will need a visa.

The application for a residence permit should be made in person and in your home country before you enter Austria. Residence permits are issued for either employment, study or research. You need to have a fixed and regular source of income to meet your living costs.

  • Valid passport with at least three months validity from the date of return
  • Completed application form with receipt for payment of consular fees
  • Recent passport size photo
  • Notarized copy of your birth certificate
  • Certificate proving good conduct and absence of any criminal record
  • Proof of health, travel and accident insurance coverage
  • Proof of having enough funds
  • Proof of having arranged accommodation in Austria
  • Advise you on the documentation that will be required for the visa
  • Advise you on how the funds needed for the visa need to be shown
  • Complete the application process
  • Review your documents needed for the visa application
  • Help you prepare for a visa interview in case one is required
  • You must submit only complete applications
  • They must be submitted in person
  • If the applicant is a minor, then the application should be signed by both the parents
  • Processing time will require at least one month because all applications must the sent to Austria