Germany Student Visa & Admissions

Germany is an ideal destination for study overseas with its world-class education and thrilling urban life.

It has a welcoming culture and accepts immigrants from all over the world. The German economy is vast with infinite opportunities for overseas graduates.

  • Universities in Germany charge low tuition fees or have no tuition fees at all
  • Overseas students in Germany have numerous funding and scholarship options
  • German Universities have a good number of programs taught in English
  • Overseas students can enjoy a high standard of living for low costs
  • Overseas graduates from German Universities have numerous job options
  • Universities in Germany have a multi-ethnic and international ambiance
  • Wide range of Universities and Courses are available to choose from
  • Freedom to travel and visit other European Countries


Overseas students can study for free at public universities in Germany. However, there is enrolment, administration and confirmation charge per semester that must be paid by them. This varies depending on the University – private or public and the chosen course.

Do note that only Public Universities offer Free Education. While Private Universities charge tuition fees, variable in keeping with the course opted for. However, the tuition fee is usually on the lower end of the spectrum and is quite affordable when compared to other countries such as Canada, U.S. or even Australia.

Study Program Average Tuition Fees in €
Undergraduate Bachelor Degree €500 -€20,000 yearly
Postgraduate Master’s Degree €5,000 – €30,000 yearly

Universities in Germany have diverse deadlines for application. However, these two general timelines are broadly applicable:

Intake 1: Summer Semester – The application must be submitted prior to January 15th every year

Intake 2: Winter Semester – The application must be submitted prior to July 15th every year


Student Applicant:

  • Students must be over 18 years of age
  • International students from other countries are allowed to work 120 full days or 240 half days per year
  • An exception is, working as an academic assistant. There is no limit to how many days academic assistants may work
  • They are not allowed to be self-employed or work as freelancers.


In general, spouses are given the same rights as the spouse is already in Germany. Therefore, if the spouse in Germany has the right to work, the spouse who comes to join him or her will also have that right. But also note that only work permit holders can apply for the dependent visas.


  • Transcript and certificates of your Undergraduate studies
  • Details of the Secondary education
  • Interview – Universities in Germany can discuss your experience and application in an arranged interview
  • Additional tests for admission such as the GRE or GMAT
  • Results of tests in the English language like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE if you are a non-native English speaker
  • Programs in German will need test certificate for the German language as a part of your application
  • Your University will make you aware of additional requirements if any prior to your application


  • The right university degree is quite essential for securing a high-paying job in Germany
  • Salaries in Germany are worth it
  • For an international worker seeking employment in Germany, the major sectors to consider are  – IT, coal, machine tools, textiles, engineering, electronics, chemicals, machinery, shipbuilding, vehicles, food and beverages
  • Recent growth areas in Germany include the automotive industry, high-tech manufactured products, telecoms, banking and tourism


As a student to be allowed to stay on in Germany, you will need to get the German Permanent Residence Permit, also referred to as the Settlement Permit or the Niederlassungserlaubnis in German.

The permanent residence permit lets you work in Germany. You can also travel in and out of the country.

The Niederlassungserlaubnis is usually given to people who have either the EU Blue Card or have held the temporary residence permit for some years. To be eligible for the permanent residence permit, such people must prove the following

  • That they have worked in Germany for at least 5 years
  • That their job has the approval of the Federal Employment Agency
  • That they have paid the necessary taxes and cleared other contributions to the German government

Moreover, knowledge of some advanced German is also necessary at this stage, as the requirements for German language proficiency are more stringent for the permanent residence permit.

Once you have the permanent residence permit, your spouse and children will be allowed to join you in Germany. Initially, they will be given a temporary residence permit. After a few years, your family can get a permanent residence permit as well.


To be eligible for any of the residence permits, you will be expected to fulfill certain requirements, which include –

  • Possess a valid passport of another country 
  • Not have a criminal record 
  • German proficiency, of at least B1 level  
  • Have German health insurance  
  • Pass a health check-up which proves that you are healthy enough for study and/or work 
  • Be financially stable, with the ability to support your family and yourself. 
  • If you will be working in Germany, a letter from your employer will be required, stating the job offer along with a job description 
  • If you will be studying in Germany, proof of admittance into a university will be needed 
  • If you will be joining your spouse in Germany, a marriage certificate as proof of marriage will be needed.


  • Upon completing the studies in Germany, students can apply for and get a residence permit of 18 months to look for a job as per their qualification
  • As soon as a student gets a job offer, s/he can choose whether to apply for a German residence permit or an European Union Blue Card for the next part of their stay
  • Students may get a residence permit though they get a job offer for a part-time employment, provided that the expected salary secures all the means of subsistence
  • If a student wants to stay in Germany and become a permanent resident, s/he can apply for a ‘settlement permit’ as early as two years after receiving their permanent residence permit or EU Blue Card.