Germany is an ideal destination for study overseas with its world-class education and thrilling urban life. It has a welcoming culture and accepts immigrants from all over the world. The German economy is vast with infinite opportunities for overseas graduates.

  • Universities in Germany charge low tuition fees or have no tuition fees at all
  • Overseas students in Germany have numerous funding and scholarship options
  • German Universities have a good number of programs taught in English
  • Overseas students can enjoy a high standard of living for low costs
  • Overseas graduates from German Universities have numerous job options
  • Universities in Germany have a multi-ethnic and international ambiance
  • Wide range of Universities and Courses are available to choose from
  • Freedom to travel and visit other European Countries

Student Applicant:

Over 60% of international students in Germany opt to work part-time towards covering their living expenses.

Ways of financing studies in Germany include scholarships, parental income, student loans, personal savings and working part-time.

For the student applicant, the work authorization is as given below –

  • The student must be over 18 years of age
  • International students in Germany are allowed to work for up to 120 full days or 240 half days of the year.
  • Do note that a job as a research assistant or student assistant at your university will not be counted towards your limit.
  • Overseas students can work full-time in Germany during their regular university breaks.
  • They can also work additional hours if their job can be considered to be mandatory work under certain regulations.
  • An internship during semester break, even if unpaid, will be regarded as normal work and subtracted from the 120-day credit balance.
  • Required mandatory internships that are part of the course do not count.
  • Non-EU students are not allowed to work as a freelancer or in a self-employed capacity.
  • Those aiming to work longer than the 120-day limit must take specific permission for the same. The foreigner’s registration office [Ausländerbehörde] and the local employment agency [Agentur fur Arbeit] issue these permissions.

The recommended course of action for anyone looking at part-time work while studying abroad in Germany would be to find a job that is related to their field of study.

This way, not only do they stand to gain in terms of covering their living expenses, but they can also use the work experience gained to add credits to their studies.


In general, spouses are given the same rights as the spouse is already in Germany. Therefore, if the spouse in Germany has the right to work, the spouse who comes to join him or her will also have that right. But also note that only work permit holders can apply for the dependent visas.


  • Transcript and certificates of your Undergraduate studies
  • Details of the Secondary education
  • Interview – Universities in Germany can discuss your experience and application in an arranged interview
  • Additional tests for admission such as the GRE or GMAT
  • Results of tests in the English language like IELTS, TOEFL, PTE if you are a non-native English speaker
  • Programs in German will need test certificate for the German language as a part of your application
  • Your University will make you aware of additional requirements if any prior to your application
  • Upon completing the studies in Germany, students can apply for and get a residence permit of 18 months to look for a job as per their qualification
  • As soon as a student gets a job offer, s/he can choose whether to apply for a German residence permit or an European Union Blue Card for the next part of their stay
  • Students may get a residence permit though they get a job offer for a part-time employment, provided that the expected salary secures all the means of subsistence
  • If a student wants to stay in Germany and become a permanent resident, s/he can apply for a ‘settlement permit’ as early as two years after receiving their permanent residence permit or EU Blue Card.
  • The right university degree is quite essential for securing a high-paying job in Germany
  • Salaries in Germany are worth it
  • For an international worker seeking employment in Germany, the major sectors to consider are  – IT, coal, machine tools, textiles, engineering, electronics, chemicals, machinery, shipbuilding, vehicles, food and beverages
  • Recent growth areas in Germany include the automotive industry, high-tech manufactured products, telecoms, banking and tourism

As a student to be allowed to stay on in Germany, you will need to get the German Permanent Residence Permit, also referred to as the Settlement Permit or the Niederlassungserlaubnis in German.

The permanent residence permit lets you work in Germany. You can also travel in and out of the country.

The Niederlassungserlaubnis is usually given to people who have either the EU Blue Card or have held the temporary residence permit for some years. To be eligible for the permanent residence permit, such people must prove the following

  • That they have worked in Germany for at least 5 years
  • That their job has the approval of the Federal Employment Agency
  • That they have paid the necessary taxes and cleared other contributions to the German government

Moreover, knowledge of some advanced German is also necessary at this stage, as the requirements for German language proficiency are more stringent for the permanent residence permit.


To be eligible for any of the residence permits, you will be expected to fulfill certain requirements, which include –

  • Possess a valid passport of another country 
  • Not have a criminal record 
  • German proficiency, of at least B1 level  
  • Have German health insurance  
  • Pass a health check-up which proves that you are healthy enough for study and/or work 
  • Be financially stable, with the ability to support your family and yourself. 
  • If you will be working in Germany, a letter from your employer will be required, stating the job offer along with a job description 
  • If you will be studying in Germany, proof of admittance into a university will be needed 
  • If you will be joining your spouse in Germany, a marriage certificate as proof of marriage will be needed.